Thursday, June 4, 2015

Film Blog Post #3 (To Kill A Mocking Bird)

I love black and white movies, I always have. So when this movie was first put on, I knew that I would like it. (Total side note, but if you've never seen The Uninvited, you really should. Very old, very good.) Something big I noticed in the movie right from the start, was how gender roles were extremely prevalent in the film. Take Scout for example; she clearly had short hair and dressed in boys clothes because she did not have her mother around as an influence, so she took to her father and her brother. BUT, Scout can dress however she damn well pleases, because that is her decision to make. And it was SUCH a big deal when she wore a dress for her first day of school, because that was the "norm". Rude af if you ask me. And the way she was treated, by her brother and their friend, also rude af. They tried to get her to leave sometimes because "she's a girl" and "she's too scared". That's a load of bullshit. The likes and levels of fear and tolerance are not determined by what you have under your skit nor in your pants.
Aside from the annoyance I felt surrounding that, this movie was great. It played devils advocate, having a white man willingly and wholeheartedly defending a black man for an awful (and untrue) accusation. Having everyone watching the movie, if they were the jury, believing that man to be innocent, but he is then guilty as charged, simply because of the pigmentation of his skin. Shits wild and unjust, but it has happened before, and to be quite honest it still happens today, as screwed up as that is. But this movie was so good, with a few stories going on that all managed to intertwine together, I loved it. Totally recommend it for anyone.
Side note (that is actually related): I have never read the book To Kill A Mocking Bird, but I sure as hell believe it's a good one after seeing this movie. I wonder how accurate the movie to book ratio is.

No comments:

Post a Comment