Thursday, April 9, 2015

Blog #7: Reflecting Upon, "Ozymandias" by PERCY BYSSHE SHELLEY

    During my initial reading of Ozymandias, I had started to think that this conversation was post-battle. I think that it was, "sneer of cold command", that had me believing that. When I think about wars and battles, I assume there to be a leader, a commander. When I saw that Ozymandias was actually a king, a king of kings, I thought that this poem, if it were to have a time period, would be more so medieval. Considering the fact that we do not really have Kings anymore, I figured it was definitely not a modern poem. I hadn't had any other thoughts about the poem following my initial reading. I guess perhaps I wasn't paying that great attention.
    During my second reading of Ozymandias, I realized how sad the poem actually is. To be honest, I believe many poems to be extremely sad. "Nothing beside remains Round the decay, Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare, The lone and level sands stretch far away." This part of the poem contains very strong imagery. What I can see, in my head at least, is a dry and barren field or platform of land, bits of wreckage here and there. The land goes on for a grand distance, all looking the same. 
    For as long as we have been reviewing and analyzing poems in class, I have come to notice that reading things more than once makes all the difference. Reading things twice has broadened my imaginative perspective of poems. Though, I do not believe reading a third or fourth time would make any difference at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment