Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Blog #8: Reflecting Upon, "This Is Just To Say" by William Carlos Williams

So when I read this the first time, I felt nothing. I really thought of absolutely nothing. After I read it, I was kind of just like, "Okay? You ate someone else's food? Rude, but okay." I guess what I can take from the poem is that it's maybe a note. Or one of those conversations you have in your subconscious. I imagine this to be between a man and wife or boyfriend and girlfriend or just some sort of home companions (roommates, suitemates etc.). I find it very difficult to say much else about the poem. But maybe that was the intention of William Carlos Williams. Since it is indeed, 'just to say', maybe that is all the poem is. Something to say.
Since William Carlos Williams is indeed a poet, I hardly think that he wrote the poem just to say. So let me pretend to be a poet, let me allow myself to think at an abstract of my own blatant and plain ideas. The poem was written about forgiving the ones we love. Whomever the narrator is, has taken a bite of a 'forbidden' fruit, and it was good, but it was cold. They're seeking forgiveness, but maybe they won't get it.
(Isn't 'forbidden fruit' a religious thing? I wouldn't know, but I think it might be.)
I do appreciate the way the poem is set up. How the pieces are sectioned, I feel like they're set up in how I would say it. But I believe that we were talking about something in class recently, that once you hear or see something said/done that way, it can alter the way you approach it yourself. I'm still unsure of the truth behind that, but it's possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment