Sunday, April 5, 2015

Blog #4: Reflecting Upon "Since there's no help" by Michael Drayton

The first time I read "Since there's no help", I quite enjoyed it. I could tell that there was a great deal of sadness in the poem, and it felt like it was just a short and sad story. Though it was only 14 lines, I feel like there was a lot of information put into it. After the first reading, I didn't think too much about it other than what I just mentioned. But following the second reading, I got a better sense of what I believed it to be about. I felt like the poem was just a poetic way of talking about a breakup. I'd say what made me believe it to be about a breakup was certain words Drayton used, or the order that he put them in. "Former love", "cancel all our vows", "and when we meet at any time again", it all seems like a big farewell to love and unity.
As far as the questions go, the first question I felt was the easiest. It seems similar to a question asked recently in class concerning the subject of a sentence or line. While the word, "Love" is a representation of a human emotion, within the poem it also serves as a being. He is love. He is also "Passion", and "Faith", and he is "Innocence". I think that the questions could help someone understand the poem better, but for me they didn't change my perspective of it. But, I appreciate their existence and their purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment